M53 - The Avon M53 (which has entered service with USSOCOM), is one of the highest spec'd respirators on the market. It was developed to meet the specific requirements of special operations units. The M53 has variable resistance exhalation, enabling it to be used as a negative pressure CBRN mask or as a positve pressure SCBA. Some of the key features of the M53 are:
- Designed using the latest digital design techniques and manufactured with Avon's newest rubber compounds.
- A new in-turned faceseal in 4 sizes to provide the best fit, protection and comfort.
- Available in right or left hand filter mounts for the best possible sighting position for shoulder-mounted weapons
- Same flexible visor as on the C50 and M50, which provides ballistic protection and excellent field of view.
- Harness and buckles designed to integrate with combat helmets and communication headsets.
- Fail-safe drinking facility compatible with coventional canteens (with adapter cap) and other types of drinking systems.
- General purpose (CBRN and CW) and low profile particulate (CS and CN) filters available with unique close-fitting profile.
- Patented exhalation unit providing the capability to use the M53 with a variety of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) without the need to remove or change components on the standard M53. It will function as a negative pressure mask using NATO thread filters, an SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus), PAPR (Powered Air Purifying Respirator) and CCBA (Closed Circuit Breathing Apparatus).
- NBC hood - a fully integrated specially designed lightwiehgt NBC hood is manufactured in 4 sizes that provides full head and neck protection. It can be attached to the mask and stored in the carrier.
- Voice Projection Unit (VPU) and communications - The VPU attaches to the front of the mask and is connected to an internal microphone through a fully sealed connection plug. It can also be used to other communication devices.